25-29 Taranaki St, Te Aro, Wellington 6011, New Zealand
Tel. +64 4-385 6650
High Chair/ Stroller Parking
The world is becoming more global… as hubs and I are increasingly realizing that it’s totally kosher to fly 10k miles (give or take), stop and refresh, and then head out for a fine dining experience – all with a little two year old in tow.
Of course, the secret sauce is finding the right place, and we totally lucked out with Zibibbo in Wellington! For starters, the ambience was both sophisticated and friendly (not an easy combo to come by I tell you), and our little man was nestled comfortably in a bright and airy corner all by himself (with a view of the restaurant, so he doesn’t feel like he’s missing out).
The food overall was fantastic (the pizza being the highlight), and I was most of all struck by the incredibly novel and creative menu, with ingredient that you don’t often get to sample elsewhere. Our only regret was not having enough time to try the desserts… but then again, jetlag does catch up with you one way or another!
- Hands down, you have to try the pizza from Zibibbo’s wood-fired oven, it was hand’s down the highlight of the evening, and that’s a high compliment coming from a pair of New Yorkers!
- The food is generally served “tapas style,” and portions tend to be on the larger side, so definitely great for sharing as a family. My Wairarapa lamb however, was pretty much gone by the time I thought about sharing.
- With a fantastically varied menu (spiced aubergine, cauliflower tahini, wood-roasted mushroom with walnut and blue cheese… it’s no wonder that Zibibbo was winner of “Wellington on a Plate Best Menu 2015.”
Baby/ Kiddo tips:
- Staff were incredibly helpful and getting a high-chair was definitely not an issue (this is a surprising fact but not a lot of fine dining restaurants in Wellington have high-chairs… a fact of much discussion between hubs and I).
- After careful observation, I noted that the restaurant boasted a nice mix of adult clients and families… which also made us feel comfortable in knowing that we were not “that couple” who stood out with our little guy.
- Service was very timely (a must for parent diners!) and we were met with all smiles… the only catch is that the full dining service is upstairs, so we had to leave our stroller downstairs, which wasn’t a problem for us, as we got to exercise our legs, but might be an issue if you absolutely feel like you cannot do with our stroller
- Entire upstairs restaurant and downstairs bar/lounge was veeeery spacious, with an event/special occasion room to boot, so there is definitely no worries when it comes to stroller parking or maneuvering about the space. All in all, an A+ and a must visit for any parent/foodie visiting the beautiful city of Windy Wellington in New Zealand! Visit RockShic here for more tips on New Zealand travels.