325 Bowery, New York, NY 10003
It's hard not to dig Andrew Carmellini’s pasta restaurant on the Bowery. For one thing, that particular corner is somehow always infused with eclectic energy, complete with boisterous laughter and gorgeous people on a sunny afternoon. I’ve been a fan of the scene ever since Peels came in. Though we were sad to learn that the Freemans team has left the building, we were more than thrilled to welcome Bar Primi, the new low-key pasta eatery that opened last year by the “Noho Power trio,” front-lining Andrew Carmelli (the brain force behind the Dutch, Lafayette, and so much more) and serving up delicious Italian fare amidst a family-friendly setting.
There are high chairs, for one, (check), plus a gorgeous setting both up, down, inside-and-out that definitely gets a big seal of approval by CBD. Fun fact: the architect Taavo Somer (who previously owned Peels), actually lead the efforts in redesigning Bar Primi. More importantly, for all of you carb lovers out there, and the real reason we're here, is the food – savory and expertly prepared dishes that are just down-home good. Let the pasta speak for itself!!
- You can't go wrong with a nice bowl of linguine. These days, we're pretty pasta-heavy in this household (dieting notwithstanding), so be prepared to feast! Personally, I’m a sucker for the spaghetti and clams.
- All of the starters/antipasti are nice, and relatively light. Ideal for sharing! (We love the roasted beets with gorgonzola and kale w/pine nuts).
- High chairs are available (sadly no changing table, but enough space in bathrooms).
- Staff are always pleasant and accommodating. This particular corner is traditionally very popular with the downtown kiddo-friendly/stroller-set.
- Restaurant hours are from 11:30 to 3pm, and then 5:30 to 11pm, so plan accordingly.
- Above all else, we love the outdoor seating, plus the spaciousness of the restaurant overall (ideal for stroller parking).