380 Lafayette Street, New York, NY 10003
Much like DBGB (which we'll get into another time), Lafayette in NoHo is also as close to "having it all" as you're going to get. It's got a number of things which are key ingredients the modern foodie family:
1) Delicious food -- it's been on many "best of" lists. The chef, Andrew Carmellini, spent six years working at Cafe Boulud, so one would think that counts for something (we also love yummy Bar Primi)!
2) Space and style, Lafayette used to occupy Chinatown Brasserie, which had a koi fish pond (no joke). So it's no wonder that the space is ample to support stroller parking. Plus, it’s brought to you by the same guys behind the Dutch, Bar Primi, and Locanda Verde, so you know they know a thing or two about aesthetics
3) Lively atmosphere (read: very baby friendly, and more likely than not, you'll inevitably find a small tot or two sitting nearby)
- It's brasserie style cuisine, so generally on the rich side. I've always liked their pastas and the steak tartare, and they make a mean Moroccan Lamb Chop
- Brunch and lunch are best bang for your buck, in my view. Plus you get the added bonus of getting their famous brisket burger (topped with caramelized onions and raclette, which is available only at lunch time.
- Bread, pastries, and baked goods overall at Lafayette are excellent, but then again that's probably not surprising when you've got a restaurant with its own pastry and bakery section!
- You get high chairs for miles plus stroller parking.
- Where possible, get a booth. Plenty to go around and this way you can pass the munchkin around when he/she gets a bit restless sitting in the high-chair. Plus, if you're lucky, they'll be some baby friendly neighbors sitting at the booth next door who would be more than happy to entertain the little one!!! That's always worked for us.
- When the weather is nice, try to find a seat outside under the shades, Lafayette has one of the prettiest outdoor seating area I've seen to date (they do go fast though, so get there early)
- This place is good for both brunch, lunch, and dinner. Win!
Other related features: